Sunday, September 6, 2015

Wyperfeld and Hattah, Amongst It Again


At Wyperfeld NP yesterday, once again following Philip Peel’s information, I got two life birds, White-backed Swallow on the way in and Redthroat on the Discovery track. I am very grateful. And as we have been woefully slack about Lifer Selfies, here we are just after the White-backed Swallows. I am grateful!

Lifer Selfie (two for me, four for Lynn!)
Speaking of lifers, as this journey progresses, Lifer Pie can’t be a regular thing. I am down yet another belt-notch and want to stay that way (I am grateful about that as well). So we’ll celebrate multiple lifers at once, and only occasionally with food.
A really attractive Black-shouldered Kite
Tree Martin with a leaf
Tree Martin going home
Lifer for us both... Redthroat!


Australian Ringneck (mallee) Not a lifer for either of us, but a stunning bird.
Lynn's lifer Regent Parrot, backlit but gorgeous!
Shingleback Lizard (I think) 
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill, very cute
Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo that we almost missed. Matilda can stop on a dime... sort of.
And as important as photos are in this blog, I am making a conscious choice to make sure the emphasis is where I want it, on the birding experience, not the photo. I want to rejoice in these birds, and yet I have occasionally caught myself feeling the… “Oh no, I didn’t get a shot of it!” It happened this morning as Lynn got her lifer Mallee Emu-wren in Hattah Kulkyne NP on the Nowingi Track. We got good looks at this incredible bird, but I did not get a photo. And I let it bother me. I am grateful that I realized that, and I will be working on it.

We were there in the middle of nowhere and a vehicle stops ahead of Matilda (she was blocking the track) and Tim Bawden got out. He even shared a Lifer Selfie for Lynn’s Mallee Emu-wren and Lynn’s lifer Chestnut Quail-thrush (I got that photo). I am grateful, for birds and birding friends!
   
Lifer Selfie with Tim Bawden 
Matilda in her element... she may be 2WD but she gets amongst it.
Lynn and Matilda on the Nowingi Track... amongst it indeed.
                             
Lynn's lifer Chestnut Quail-thrush... so lovely!
Gorgeous Chestnut Quail-thrush
Super cute Weebill
Now we’re in a caravan park in Waikerie, after a trip to Woolworths that included a Collared Sparrowhawk in a tree right beside Matilda!
           
Collared Sparrowhawk by the Woolworths
Collared Sparrowhawk 
I am trying to get this posted because in the morning we head into Gluepot Reserve… no mobile service, no electricity and no water. It is the very essence of being “amongst it.” It is one of the best places for “it” that there is. More to come in a few days… I. Am. Grateful.

Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Laughter. Music.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this wonderful journey, into country close by and hardly known, and for sharing the superb birds you meet on the way. I appreciate the efforts you put in to doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this wonderful journey, into country close by and hardly known, and for sharing the superb birds you meet on the way. I appreciate the efforts you put in to doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this wonderful journey, into country close by and hardly known, and for sharing the superb birds you meet on the way. I appreciate the efforts you put in to doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome!! Sharing is a lot of the fun! I am so glad you are enjoying it.

      Delete

Comments Here: