Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Four Names And Two Hyphens

Yesterday after I posted the blog, we headed back to Bowra on a single bird quest. We (Lynn, Robert and I) were looking for the illusive Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, a bird with four names and two hyphens, that prefers dashing across the ground to flying. No one had seen them around the reserve for several days.

We returned to an area where we had heard the bird the day before, but had not been able to locate it. Marie Tarrant joined us and we began to listen. We heard it again! We headed toward the sound. After perhaps half an hour of following the calls, Marie remarked that it had sort of a Red-browed Pardalote sound to it. There is a good reason for that. It was a Red-browed Pardalote. It had fooled us all. Lovely bird though.

Beautiful Red-browed Pardalote, also know as the Not-a Quail-thrush.
We were driving back toward the homestead when we came across Kris Bernard and her husband. They said they had just seen Quail-thrushes! They told us where they saw them and we returned to that area and after a bit of looking I saw one. True to form, it was under a bush and then ran to another bush, and another bush before disappearing further into the bush. However, it wasn't long before an immature bird showed up and we were able to get even better looks at it. Yes, I am very grateful!
      
Finally! The Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Cinclosoma castaneothorax
Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Cinclosoma castaneothorax up on a log. This was a young bird.     
Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Cinclosoma castaneothorax 
Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Cinclosoma castaneothorax 
So today we reluctantly leave this area and work our way north. We changed some plans and have decided to head more up the coast (slowly). I will miss Bowra and my new friends (who I will see again!). I will also miss this lovely caravan park where the Red-winged Parrots greet me on the way to brush my teeth! I had to dash back and grab my camera. I am very grateful.

Red-winged Parrot on a bush, just in front of Matilda.

Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Laughter. Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: