Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Always Birding

We had appointments up in Virginia on Monday and Tuesday. We drove up the "back way," for the most part avoiding the Interstates. Although long drives, they were fairly low stress, but indeed tiring. All went well with our appointments and I am very grateful.

While dealing with life, birding still goes on. For me, it is a part of living. You’re alive, the birds are alive and out there, and you notice them. I may have other things on my mind, and birding may not be a priority, but they are still there and I notice. So as we drove up the driveway of our friend’s house Monday evening, I saw what I thought were a couple of Northern Rough-winged Swallows on the wires. We did not stop and look then (we were bringing supper) but as I said, I noticed.

As it turned out, NRWS would be a lifer for Lynn, so the next morning as we headed to our appointment, we stopped and had a look at several Northern Rough-winged Swallows on the wires by the driveway. Even with my huge post-surgery sunglasses on, I managed to get a mediocre recording shot of her lifer look at this bird. I am very grateful.
Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Yes, birders are always birding on some level. Once you have turned it on, it does not have an “off” switch. Certainly we can dial it down, we are not always on high alert, but we still notice the birds. And that noticing can take us out of ourselves for a moment and connect us to the wonderful, natural world. And for that, I am profoundly grateful.

Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Laughter. Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: