Saturday, June 6, 2015

“It’s Never Too Late To Have A Good Childhood”

Yesterday, I had a childhood memory rise to the top in the sludge of my brain like a bubble popping on the surface of a tar pit. I don’t recall much about my early years, and I reflected on this memory and it was sad. I do not whine about my childhood. It sure could have been worse, but I was basically ignored ninety percent of the time.  I was alone, and lonely a lot. As I remembered this, I thought these very words…

“I did not have a bad childhood, actually it’s going pretty well.” Damn right it is, and I am grateful.

“It is never too late to have a good childhood,” was my next thought. I knew someone else must have thought of that phrase before me and sure enough, Google gives credit to both Tom Robbins and Berke Breathed (most excellent company!) but it seems the credit should go to Robbins. Regardless of who said it first, it is still worth repeating, and repeating, and repeating. Yes! You can be the kid you always wanted to be!

If I have one message for the world, that is it. More than embracing your inner child: BE your inner child. Allow that playfulness, wonder, joy, curiosity, and yes, gratitude of a child to fill your life. But be prepared! As with all children, there may be bullies on your playground who want to push you around! Sometimes they call themselves “responsible adults.” They will tell you why you can’t. They are f-ing FULL of the word, “can’t.”

So I am here to tell you that you can. Yes. You. Can. And so can I, and I am really grateful!

Here is a photo of my granddaughter with a clothes pin (clothes peg) backward on her nose. I taught her to do that.

Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Laughter. Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: