Monday, December 26, 2022

Cocos/Keeling Islands 2022: Part Two



Mr funny-man, Richard Baxter and me looking like we're standing in front of a fake background

Early Wednesday afternoon, most of the group had headed over to a place called, ‘the farm’ to have a look for an Asian Koel that was being seen there. 

On the 'farm' about where I saw my lifer Pintail Snipe

I had already seen that bird so I took the rare (non-existent?) opportunity for a lay-down. I had only barely begun to drift off when there was a banging (not a knocking, but a loud banging) on the motel room door. I yelled, “WHAT?” I was three-quarters asleep, exhausted, confused, and not happy with being awakened. A very serious sounding voice answered, “This is the police. We have a warrant for a Bruce Richardson.” Honestly, my first thought was, “what has caught up with me?” I mean, I’ve been a pretty good boy for so many years now but regardless, it gave me pause. Then the voice said, “Pintail Snipe, grab your bins and camera. I stepped into my crocs and was out the door in seconds. Yes, Richard Baxter has a sense of humour and soon I had Pintail Snipe joy, finally. 

Yep, he drove us to the farm and the snipe flushed and we saw it. Then we tried to refind it for the next half hour or so, but did not. We were to see more on Christmas Island, but I am getting ahead of the tale. 

 As a Lifer treat, Richard took me over to the Barge. It’s an old boat set up on the edge of the beach as a little restaurant. The kitchen was closed, but we could still sit and take nourishment from the view, that incredible, glorious view. I will post a few photos. I swear the pic of Richard and me looks like it faked in front of a green-screen. It is that beautiful there.





Wednesday evening we rode the ferry again to Home Island for a Malay dinner at the Seafront Restaurant. We had done that during the December 2019 trip as well and both times, it was one of the best dinners I have ever had. Like the first time, it was a buffet however this time it did not include Gong Gong my favourite mollusc ever (amongst many favourite molluscs in my life). I told the owner, Siti (not sure of that spellng) how much I had enjoyed them and she said to let her know in advance next time and she would make sure they had them on the buffet. The genuine friendliness and hospitality at that restaurant and on that island touches my heart. They are such lovely people there. The other food in the buffet made up for the missing Gong Gong. How on earth can a simple chicken leg be that good?  And the prawns were wonderful.

Oceana House, gorgeousness outside of time






Thursday, I did some birding on my own. That was when I got the great views of my previous Lifer Chinese Sparrowhawk at the hide. I posted those photos in the last blog. I mainly just spent some time by myself roaming about West Island. I had mixed emotions about it. I love and adore that place, love it, full-stop. But I do not enjoy things ‘alone’ so much. But it is my situation now. I will post a few photos from that day. That evening there was one of the most beautiful sunsets of the trip. It did not bode well for our flight to Christmas Island the next day.

Ubiquitous and lovely, a White-breased Waterfowl

Also ubiquitous and gorgeous, a Green Junglefowl

Out by the landing strip at the airport


Slightly out of focus selfie out and about by myself

My last sunset on Cocos 

(A short blog entry about this was already posted, but I wanted to include it here as part of this tale as well) I wrote most of this part in Perth on Saturday, 10 December. I had not planned to be in Perth, but the weather forced Virgin to cancel our flight Christmas Island. They gave us accommodations in a gorgeous and quite posh hotel downtown. The rooms were beautiful and we got free breakfast and dinner. (I will post some photos).

I love a good mattress... I did get a nap too!




Nighttime view from my room 

Saturday morning after breakfast, I just wandered around the corner and happened to meet a guy who runs a specialty bookstore (sci-fi and fantasy) Stefen’s Books. We got talking and he suggested I go to the big bookstore, Boffins Books, down the street. He said that they had my new book and that I should go sign their copies. So he called them and they were expecting me when I got over there. It was very nice indeed.



Stefen of Stefen's Books who sent me to Boffins

Me in an elevator that only works with the room key-card. Just more poshness

We did fly to Christmas on a specially scheduled flight on Sunday and I had an entire row to myself. Best flight ever. 

Geoff Christie on the other side and me with my open row. I did lay down. Joy

 I will mention again that I am planning to do my friend, Richard's Torres Strait trip in 2024. The dates are not yet set, but I will keep y'all posted. Here's a link Richard Baxter's Torres Strait trip


More soon from Christmas Island, sending love as I do ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: