Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Opposite of Lifer High

At times the light was gorgeous, but the winds were extremely strong.

Back at the end of February 2021, I began planning an Eaglehawk Neck Pelagic aimed at the best chance for a Grey-headed Albatross, and perhaps even a Light-mantled Sooty Albatross. As I knew, it seemed that the end of May toward early June would be best. I contacted my dear friend Karen Dick and she looked into when the Paulette was available. We could not get it for the weekend of 29-30 May since the Queensland group had booked it, but she arranged with John (the boat captain) for us to have 27-28 May. I contacted friends and quickly we had a full boat. 


As we got closer to our dates, the wind was forecast to be extreme. We had hopes, but the seas were too much even for EHN. We could only do a partial day on the 27th and Friday the 28th was a full blow-out. We did not even leave the jetty. The Queensland group arrived that afternoon and were able to go out on the 29th. They got both albatrosses and even an Antarctic Tern as well as other desirable birds, but those three would have been Lifers for me. I had missed them by one day. 

Yes, it was a horrible feeling of disappointment. The expression “gutted” is quite spot-on. Both of my most hoped for pelagic birds, missed by one day, only twenty-four hours. For all of the wonders, joys and possibilities of Pelagic birding, one must bear in mind that the birding itself is 99.9% luck. Sure, we chose our dates wisely. We knew that there was a better chance of Grey-headed at that time and we were there. We had done our part, but the weather would just not allow us to get out to them. 

I have never liked relying purely on "luck." I loathe gambling games and do not play them. Never, not if it was ever so, will I choose to ‘play’ a game of chance. But I will certainly gamble on more Eaglehawk Neck pelagics. I love seeing my dear, dear Tassie friends, and I love the Tasman Sea and the sheer beauty of the land down under the land down under. The birds are the lure, the carrot-on-the-stick that takes me down there. Whether I see those birds or not is only luck.

I have been very fortunate in the birds that I have seen in my birding life. Whether on land or at sea, I have beheld some truly wonderful birds. I have written a lot about what I call, “Lifer High” (especially in the next book to be released in August 2022). I have not written much about the sadness and the disappointment of missing out. It isn’t something that I am exactly keen on sharing, and honestly, I haven’t experienced it very often. But as we all know, missing out occasionally is always a part of birding. 

To make this trip I spent money I did not have and once again, I broke painfully through the walls of anxiety to go. And then to miss what would have been complete success by one day was gutting. It is okay because it has to be, and make no mistake, I will try again, and I will see those birds when I am supposed to see them. I know this. There is some sort of synchronicity here, it just has not yet revealed itself to me. It will when it is time. Everything has its time. 

And I will close with this… speaking of “just one day” on 14 January 2018, I saw the Juan Fernandez Petrel glide toward, and then along beside the Paulette off Eaglehawk Neck. That had never happened before, nor has it happened since. There will be other Grey-headed and Light-mantled, and I will see them when I am meant to. That’s how this stuff works. Here are a few shots of Juan. 
 


(Paul Brooks back of camera shot of Juan's underside)
     


And while I am at it, here are a few pretty random photos of birds I have seen on some very successful birding trips. I am choosing to remember and remind myself how fortunate I have been in my birding. I am truly grateful. It is not just lip-service, it is heart-felt gratitude. 

Princess Parrots September 2018

Orange-bellied Parrots, June 2012

Scarlet-chested Parrot, October 2012

Black Grasswren April 2016

Letter-winged Kite April 2017

I create therefore I exist. I share therefore it’s real. I love y’all because I need to be loved.

1 comment:

  1. Juan is beautiful! It still probably won't get me onto a pelagic, even if it was free. My sea-legs never developed properly. The fact that you board those boats speaks volumes for your obsession for birding. XCX

    ReplyDelete

Comments Here: