Friday, December 20, 2019

The Joy of the Twitch ~ Kentish Plover

I was working on the blog entries about the two glorious weeks with my dear friends on Richard Baxter’s Tours of Abundant Birding Bliss when a Kentish Plover was reported Wednesday in Sydney. Thank you Jesse Gibson for the post on the Twitchers Page!
   

Long story short, I just “did” it. For once I could use the close-by Avalon Airport (literally 5 minutes away). When I heard the bird was refound Thursday arvo, I ignored my anxiety and booked the first flight to Sydney Friday morning.
   

I was up at 3am Friday. Robert drove in from Parkes, NSW (he had no sleep) and collected first Christine at her Sydney home, then me at the airport. We drove to the spot (about 30 minutes from the airport). Then walked a few hundred metres down the water’s edge and arrived just as the tide was right and… there was the Plover hanging out with a few Red-caps. Joy, joy, joy.
 

Then the second best part of a twitch began, the tribe coming together. This wondrous joy flowed to and fro amongst us like magical energy. It was palpable and almost visible, like a glow passing between us. It was the love. It was the elation. It was friends sharing their passion in the very best way. Robert Shore and I took what is one of scores of Lifer Selfies we’ve taken together. I got to hug David Stowe and Jenny Stiles and Christine in person (lots of hugs going around). Robert and I went to a great little café suggested by Christine and had Lifer Pie (that is my phrase here in Australia!). Then I went back to that café again with other friends after Robert headed off for some much needed rest. 

David Stowe and Christine drove me to the airport. I was able to move my flight ahead and flew back to Avalon on a 3:30 flight (it ended up delayed a bit) arriving about 5:40 in the midst of 45 C heat down here in Lara (American friends, that is 113 F). I drove the five minutes to the house (closed up with aircon running) and collapsed with Lifer High still reverberating through me. It will echo on in my heart in the coming days, like distant thunder reminding me of the joy of the twitch.

These are photos by me and photos from friends. These birders are some of the “Tribe” on the twitch yesterday. I love birders. I love my tribe. I love y’all. I am up early again, but like I said, I am still running on Lifer High. I am also editing and culling more of my photos of the Plover. I just added a few photos of the plover. He is certainly one of my Christmas presents.

Photo by Jenny Stiles. The first in-person meeting of David Stowe and me. I love that guy and yet we had never actually met "live." 
The delightful Jenny Stiles in person
We did it again. Robert Shore and me in a Lifer Selfie

Photo by David Stowe... left to right, Lachlan Hall, Christine Sch, David, Robert Shore and me.
My early Christmas pressie... 







Stay tuned for the continuation of the Cocos/Christmas blogs. I will finish and post the next one soonish. Right now, I am just revelling in Lifer High.

I write therefore I am. I share therefore it’s real. I love y’all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: