Sunday, December 15, 2019

Cocos and Christmas Islands ~ Part One

The build up to going was huge for me. I first realised that I could, and then actually would, go on Richard Baxter's (December) Christmas/Cocos birding tour on 24 September. My friend, Damian Baxter (Richard’s son), posted that a spot had opened on the December tour. Messages were quickly exchanged and I was in. Then began the mental and emotional (and even physical) shit-storm as the unhealthy parts of my brain attempted to sabotage it. I was determined not to allow that to happen, and it did not. Although I am not saying it was easy.


I made check lists. I read Richard’s and Lisa’s (she is the tour facilitator) check lists. I highlighted things. I bought an Overboard brand dry-bag backpack (I ended up loving it. I just ordered their 2-litre waist pack as I wrote this). 


I worried. I fretted. I talked with others who had done the trip. I made more lists. Although I have lost weight (approximately 30 pounds since early July), I worried about my fitness level (it still needs work, believe me). I worried about my “older guy plumbing issues,” my migraines and other health issues. I worried about worrying (anxiety). I wanted this trip so badly that I all but worried myself sick that something could happen to prevent me from going. It did not. I saw my neurologist and had the Botox injections that help with my migraines. I was doing everything I could to be able to go. And now I have done it and I will attempt to write an interesting account of the trip.


The morning of Thursday 28 November I drove my Troopi to the Long Term Parking at Melbourne Airport then rode the shuttle to the terminal. I was checked-in, through security and at the gate over 2 hours early (as I do). The flight was on time and I flew the four and a half hours to Perth drifting off occasionally into a sleep-like state as I “listened” to a Patrick O’Brian book on tape in my ear-buds. I find the voice of the reader, Patrick Tull incredibly soothing and I love those books (the Aubrey/Maturin series by O’Brian). 


Always a happy sight... my dear old yellow rolling duffle. If you added up its miles, it has been at least around the world several times.
Arriving in Perth in the late arvo, I caught the shuttle to the motel. I had a decent night’s sleep and in the morning caught up with a few friends who were also on the tour who had also over-nighted at that motel. Now I was no longer travelling “alone,” one of my anxiety battles is about travelling alone and making a “mistake.” Yes, screwing-up is one of my biggest fears. I understand that and have my means of coping and I do cope. 
     



We were soon on our flight to Cocos. We arrived there in early afternoon and were met by Richard Baxter our leader for the next two weeks. Richard is ideal for what he does. His knowledge and information network for these islands is unparalleled. Make no mistake; there is no one who is more knowledgeable regarding the birds and birding the Cocos and Christmas Islands than Richard Baxter. He is a natural leader and I would say this even if I did not like him, and I did like him. But he is not there to be liked; he is there to find birds for birders to see. And he delivers. 
         


The man himself, one hell of a birder and leader.
We dropped our bags at our motel (more about that in part two) and went to the grocery. I dashed madly about the small, limitedly stocked store grabbing things (they do not sell peanut butter) and soon we were back at the motel and then off birding. I will write about that in the second part of course as well. 



My main point for this first instalment of what will be several blogs about my Christmas/Cocos birding tour is that I did overcome the massive anxiety and went on a truly “dream trip.” Sharing this battle that I fight to be able to do what I know I love is a part of my own healing. I dearly hope that by sharing my story I can help others with their issues with anxiety as well. We can do this!

I adored the Cocos Islands. I merged with them and they merged into me. They are inside me. I can feel them in my heart. I will write more about that and the birds in Part Two.

I write therefore I am. I share therefore it’s real. I love because I’m learning.

4 comments:

  1. Well done mate, I can't wait for 2/3 and 3/3 so no muck about. I suffer from several of your medical problems, one of the reasons I bird, I always enjoy your stories and adventures. Keep it comming I'm starting to count birds for you already and ypou haven't mentioned on yet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate! Much appreciated. I will be writing the next entry in a few days (or so). There is a lot I want to say...
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice set up for the next two. It sounds like fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much mate... I think you will enjoy them. I am working on the second. It will be a bit longer one.

      Delete

Comments Here: