Saturday, December 5, 2015

Eaglehawk Neck Pelagic Trip


I am sitting on my single bed (there are four in the room) here at a motel in Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania. We’re in a “fisherman’s room” which means it is not posh, but it is comfortable and on the ground floor- easy in and easy out. Our original room was tiny and on the 2nd floor inside the motel, so we switched. We were on the Eaglehawk Neck pelagic yesterday and stayed another night rather than driving up to Hobart after the long boat trip.

As with most pelagics, it was a long day. We got some great birds, but it was rather slow birding for here. We only had three species of Albatross (no Wandering). I was a little disappointed, but grateful in general. The patches did their job for both Lynn and me and there was no seasickness for us. It did get bumpy in the afternoon as the temperature dropped and the wind increased. As locals are quick to remind us, this is summer in Tasmania. I am grateful for layers.
    
As we headed out of the calm harbour

I did not take as many photos as I have on other pelagic trips. There was more spray and a bit of rain at times. I left the camera in the cabin part of the time. But I did not really miss anything. The White-faced Petrel was a life bird that we saw, but it was pretty far off for trying to get a photo. The Lifers for me were: Southern Royal Albatross, Southern Giant Petrel, White-faced Storm Petrel, White-chinned Petrel and White-headed Petrel. Two birds that begin with “southern” and three that begin with “white,” there is a joke in there somewhere, but I am not looking for it right now. I am grateful.
           
Oceanic Bottlenose Dolphin in the Tasman Sea 
Fur Seal on the Hippolytes
Black-faced Cormorants on the Hippolytes. 
More seals. 
Southern Royal Albatross
Southern Giant-petrel
Southern Royal Albatross 

Northern Giant-petrel 
Black-browed Albatross 
Shy Albatross looking very serious (as they do). 
Northern Giant-petrel
White-chinned Petrel that actually has white on its chin.
We are fixin’ to pack it in here and head up to our friend’s house in Hobart. I will see if I can get this posted. Sending y’all much love from Tassie.


Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Sea. Laughter. Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: