Monday, October 5, 2015

Last One For Now

As our time wound down here at Kingfisher Lodge, the birding became a quest for basically two birds. One was the White-eared Monarch and the other the Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo. We walked up and down rain forest roads that are known spots for both these species, but to no avail. Later in the spring they will both be calling and easier to locate, but for now, not so much.

I never found the WE Monarch, but yesterday the Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo glided into my life. It behaved just as described: flying mid-story and perching a couple of times before settling in for a minute or two. I was able to grab a few photos, then leap into Matilda and dash back to get Lynn. Bearing in mind that Matilda does not actually “dash,” however she did her lumbering best, and in not more than fifteen minutes, we were back in the same spot and gratefully, the cuckoo was still around and soon it showed itself. Lynn got wonderful looks and again I got to say three of my favorite words, “There’s your bird!” And it is such a beautiful bird. I am grateful.

Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo- first view snap shot. I am grateful.
Every life bird experience is different, but they are all wonderful. This cuckoo required a bit of work, making that first view all the more sweet. That moment when after all the hours of looking, you see it and think to yourself, that is it! That is really it! Now that is a wonderful moment. My heart fills with the bird and I am so very grateful.
 


Even from the back, it is such a lovely bird. The richness of its color is striking.        

Today will be a long day of traveling. We head down to Cairns to catch a plane to Lockhart River up in Cape York. I am grateful and I will keep you posted.


Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Laughter. Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: