Friday, August 7, 2015

Far-Close Friends

A few weeks ago Kenn Kaufman told me that he was going out of Hatteras on a pelagic with Brian Patteson the 7th and 8th of August. He wanted to stop by for a visit if it was convenient. Of course it was convenient. Kenn is one of my friends, yet we have spent very little time actually together. He is on my short list (that most of us have) of people that we know we love even though we do not see each other very often. So it was a treat to spend the day with him yesterday. We had big fun and I am very grateful.
    
Kenn, Lynn and me in our yard and yes, I am using a selfie-stick.
   
Looking at Long-billed Dowitchers among other things (one of the few times when I was sure that they were Long-billed as opposed to Short-billed).

I do love this guy.
Long-billed Dowitcher, Limnodromus scolopaceus jumping.
Long-billed Dowitcher, Limnodromus scolopaceus on tip-toes.
The two “worlds” that I have mostly inhabited as an adult are the entertainment world and the birding world. What these two worlds have in common, other than an accepted level of madness amongst their inhabitants, is that the actual home bases of these people can be scattered far and wide. One ends up with close friends who live far away. It sounds oxymoronic, but we all have far-close friends. They live across the country or across the ocean, but we keep them in our hearts. This is not an exaggeration. They are in my heart as a part of my very being. I can sit here in coastal North Carolina and feel the closeness of these far away friends. Of course it is even better when we can get together in person, but when we are apart, we are not ever completely apart. I am so damn grateful.

And again, thank you to Facebook, and other modern technologies that allow us to keep in touch while our physical bodies are separated. I can, and have, Facetimed with Far-Close friends in the US from the bush in Oz. And it’s free! It’s the same with iMessage. It is free to another iPhone anywhere in the world. I am very grateful and will continue to keep in touch.

Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Laughter. Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: