Sunday, January 1, 2023

Christmas Island 2022: Part One

Once again, we were flying out over the Indian Ocean. Our Virgin Australia flight on Sunday 11 December went as scheduled (I quit flying Qantas years ago). It was an easy-peasy, special flight. I had an entire row to myself and I did flip-up the armrests and lay down across the three seats. Not bad at all.


Christmas Island, joy

We arrived on Christmas Island and went through immigration and customs. Just as on Cocos, it is Australia, but it’s also considered international. No, I do not understand it. Then we collected our 3 hired vehicles and drove to the motel to drop our bags. 

First timers began ticking off the easy birds like Island Thrush, Christmas Island Swiftlet, and Christmas Imperial Pigeon all of which were seen in the first hour or so. We also had a look at the roosting Red-footed Boobies. They can be seen flying on Cocos, but the best looks are definitely on Christmas perching in the trees.

The lovely and ubiquitous Island Thrush
 
The do have really red feet

Then we made a stop by the grocery. I grabbed my usual little cans of tuna and some rice crackers (and chips, I was walking-off any weight they were adding and besides, I need the salt haha). Richard bought some chips that had caught his eye. They were Red Rock Deli, roast chicken with sage and burnt butter. He opened them outside the store and I think we finished the bag while we stood there. They are currently my favourite flavour of chips. I do NOT need a favourite flavour of chips! No, not if it was ever so, and unfortunately they are available in Victoria too. I bought a couple of bags last week and they’re gone now. I will reserve them for special occasions.


The next morning we headed off early. We were on a mission. A couple of weeks before, there had been a lovely, little Stonechat on Christmas Island. The area where it had been seen required about a four and a half kilometre walk. It was mostly flat however, much of it was through thigh-high brush and vines. As it turned out that brush though which we were ploughing followed what had been the road on which we had driven in to see the Purple Heron in December 2019 (Chapter 22 in “More Australian Birding Tales”). The road had been closed shortly after that, and the bush had reclaimed its space.

We came out into a very rocky area where the bird had last been seen (I mean it is a ‘Stone’chat after all). We spread out and began searching. Richard climbed up on a hill to get a good vantage point from which to scan for the bird. For about the next couple of hours or so (I purposefully did not look at my watch) we searched, scanned and stared into and around that whole area. We certainly gave it a good go, but to no avail. I’m sure the bird had moved along (or more likely, become a meal for something). Regardless, it was no longer there. We trudged back to our vehicles and went for lunch.

Richard's first perch





That afternoon brought me my favourite Lifer of the trip (I loved them all of course, but there’s always a favourite). Following the Stonechat trek we had driven a few of the many back ‘roads’ looking for a bird that tends to lurk along track and trails. We did not see it and returned in the arvo. Driving those tracks again, it was not long before Richard’s voice came through the radio, “Malayan Night-Heron on the track in front of our vehicle.”

Judy Leitch's phenomenal photo! It is a brilliant shot and I thank her for sharing it with me

Those words were like an electric shock though my body. It was there. The Malayan Night-Heron was there. Of all of the birds that I knew had been seen recently, and might still be around, it was the one that I most wanted to see. However, we were on a one-lane track and I was driving the second car and the bird was in front of the first car.

Again, Richard’s voice came through the radio, “Bruce, can you drive slowly up to my left?” I think I just said, “Yes.” And very slowly I steered the old Rav-4 off the track and just to the left of Richard’s old Rav-4. We crept by until we could see the Night-Heron standing on the shoulder of the track. Our vehicle was just inches from Richard’s and we could see the bird! I was taking photos out of my window and over the side-view mirror as best I could.

My friend Geoff Christie was in the passenger seat. He lives part of the year on Cocos and had made the trip over to Christmas with us. Geoff handed me his camera to take a few photos out of the driver’s side window. Again, I was shooting over the side-view mirror. I hope I got some okay ones for him.

The Night-Heron moved a bit along the shoulder. I carefully backed the Rav-4 and left room for the back car to roll into our spot. In the end, everyone got to see the bird. As I mentioned, Judy Leitch took the excellent photo above. She is a talented photographer, keen birder and excellent company as well. I will include a few of my recording shots as well. I am very happy getting any photos of this wonderful bird.

My first Lifer look at the Malayan Night-Heron through the windscreen



I love that bird!

I will make this the end of Part One. There is a lot more to come in Part Two, including a bunch of photos of Christmas Island and one more Lifer for me.

Sending love as I do ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: