Thursday, October 3, 2019

A Keen Pair of Sandals

When I was a long distance runner (from 2002 until about 2014) I always bought my running shoes from the local running store. I bought new runners approximately every 500 miles. That meant that during the majority of my running years, I was buying new shoes every 3 months or less. I got to know the manager and the sales people at that store and I sent them a lot of business. They began to give me the employee discount (which was massive) and I very much appreciated it. It was an excellent store.  

One day in 2006 (or 2007), they began selling these new Keen sandals and suggested I try them. I chose a pair of black “Newports” and I loved them. I wore them all over the world for years. Until sadly in April of 2016 in Broome, WA they finally died. By that point, they certainly owed me nothing. That day I was walking across sand in 40+ temperatures and the outer soles came loose and then came off. They had protected my feet through higher temps than that before, but the repeated abuse had finally taken its toll. The innersole got my feet back safely to Troopi, but my dear old Keens were done for. I left them at the Broome Bird Observatory where they became a part of the landfill. I would have kept them just because I do that sort of thing, but that’s not how it worked out.
     
R.I.P.
Well… now I just purchased a new pair of Newports! I am hoping they are even half as good as my old ones. That’s a lie. I hope they are just as good, but I have no delusions about that. Even if they are half as good, they will serve me very well.
   


I adore Keens, but in soft sand, the toe-box tends to get filled with sand. So I also need to find a pair of Merrells, or Tivas and then I will have all the sandals I will ever need (of course I also have Birkenstocks because I am indeed a hippie).

And just let me be clear, I am not done yet. There are some wondrous travels peeking just over my horizon like the first golden rays of a sunrise. I will overcome the anxieties. I will manage the few physical issues that I deal with. I am entering this chapter of my life with determination, tenacity and hope. I am continuing to get into better shape. I have now dropped 11.5 kilos. So I will say again, I am not done yet. And y’all know I will keep you posted.

Here are a few photos of those wonderful sandals in various places over the years... from Spain, to Ohio, to Virginia, and then spots around Australia. And if you are in the sun a lot like me, Keens can give you the coolest tan lines (that is not dirt, those are for real tan lines).
       

                               

             
       
     
Angel Face in Granddaddy's sandals.
I write therefore I am. I share, therefore it's real. I love because it's all there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Here: